February 2015 has been ranked the 6th coldest in Wisconsin history and an average temp colder than 2014. What a joy to step out the door on March 1 and find the temperatures a little warmer and the desire for a walk set in. We look forward to many more beautiful and warmer days ahead! For now, let’s get caught up on what is happening in the park.
Accessible Cabin: Insulation is done, interior walls are in with staining started. If you are interested in helping with this project, please email us at . The cash goal to complete the building is $160,000. If you are able to help, financial contributions can be made by mail at Friends of Harrington Beach State Park, 531 County Hwy D, Belgium, WI 53004 or via the donation link at http://friendsofharrington.org/
Invasive Species Program: Dennis Goldsmith has worked over 10 years on removal and control of Invasive Species. The park improvements from his work is amazing and enjoyed by so many. If you have an interest in helping with this project or even learning more about invasive species, please email us at .
- April 18 Arbor Day/Earth Day event. This year we will be planting 400 trees from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Friends of Harrington Beach State Park will be providing a free hot dog lunch for all who help. There will also be a Geocaching event this day.
- Spring Clean the Welcome Center. Wash all the windows, clean the blinds and spruce up the place for the summer season.
- In the summer, it is fun to work 3 hour shifts in the concession stand. You can work 1 time the whole summer or as many shifts as you want.
- Help with the cabin construction
- Help Dennis Goldsmith with the Invasive Species Program
- Help setup and/or serve at the annual Pancake Breakfast on June 7.
- Share ideas of your own!
Annual Meeting: The Friends of Harrington Beach State Park annual membership meeting will be held April 23, 2015 with a free dinner at 6 pm and the business meeting to begin at 6:30 pm. Not yet a member? You can join anytime between now and the night of the meeting. Watch for more details or email us at .
Free Fishing Weekend: June 6th and 7th is free fishing weekend at Wisconsin State Parks. The 6th will include a free fishing clinic from 9 am to 1 pm at Puckett’s Pond. Bring your children and enjoy the day!
Breakfast in the Park: Sunday, June 7th is the date of our annual FREE Pancake Breakfast. It is also Open House at the park which means free park admission. What can be better?
“Like” us on FaceBook or visit our website at www.friendsofharrington.org to keep up-to-date on all that is happening in the park.
The Friends of Harrington Beach State Park board of directors meet the 4th Thursday of the month. Our next scheduled meeting is Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:00 in the Park office. The meeting is open to the public. We hope you can join us!