How to volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering at Harrington Beach State Park, contact the office at 262-285-3015 to discuss available opportunities. Anyone who would like be a volunteer must fill out a Volunteer Agreement. Property superintendents will review the agreement and interview and select all volunteers.
Be a concession stand manager/volunteer
- 2019 from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekends is the season for concessions. We are seeking a volunteer with volunteer coordination and management skills
- Greet visitors at the Welcome Center from Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Answer visitor questions about the park and surrounding area
- Sell ice cream treats, hot/cold beverages and snacks
- Three hour shifts available weekends and holidays
- Contact Nancy Hise @
Be a campground host
- Stay in a campsite at the campground and volunteer a few hours a day.
- Greet and assist campers with information about the park and facilities.
- Assist in daily campground operations and set an example by being a model camper.
- Clean campsites, bathrooms, and facilities and assist with light maintenance.
- Dispense park information and assist with campground programs.
- Enjoy the company of other campers and make sure that they enjoy their stay.
Be a naturalists or nature center host
- Present park interpretive and educational programs such as campfire talks, nature walks, multi-media shows, living history programs, and evening programs.
- Lead school group programs on-site.
- Conduct public workshops or classes.
- Conduct nature events in campgrounds, on park trails, and at park facilities.
- Support park staff in educational programming.
- Greet visitors arriving at the Nature Center.
- Answer questions about the environment, exhibits, and the property.
Be a visitor center volunteer
- Greet visitors and provide brochures, maps, program schedules and answer questions.
- Assist park visitors with vehicle admission stickers, campsite registration and state trail passes.
- Staff a visitor center information desk or gift shop.
- Help coordinate special events.
- Help design and prepare exhibits, displays, and bulletin boards.
- Help market and advertise park programs.
- Provide newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, and information about the local area.
Be a volunteer for special projects
- Repair and construct fences and bridges.
- Clean up park grounds, campgrounds and facilities.
- Complete special or seasonal maintenance tasks as needed.
- Do carpentry, remodeling or other construction projects.
- Make park information signs.
- Assist with minor vehicle/boat/equipment repairs and maintenance.
- Build and maintain new and existing trails.
- Build informational kiosks.
- Plant trees, remove invasive species and do prairie restoration.
- Assist staff in building picnic shelters, accessible cabins and other property facilities.
Form 2500-120, WSPS Power Equipment Safety Acknowledgement [PDF]
Adopt-A-Trail in the State Park System
- Provide trails support and clean up.
- Perform as crew members on trail construction, renovation, and maintenance.
- Assist with the control of invasive species and the planting of native species.
- Report any trail obstructions or hazards.
If you are interested in adopting a trail, complete the Adopt-A-Trail Application and Permit [PDF] or contact the park, forest or trail manager.
Be a trail tender
- Serve as trail host.
- Patrol trails for the safety and enjoyment of all users.
- Assist and provide support to other trail users.
- Sell state trail passes.
- Educate users on etiquette and regulations.
Additional information about the Trail Tender program is available in the Trail Tender Handbook [PDF]. If you are interested in becoming a Trail Tender, contact the Friends Group or DNR property manager associated with your preferred trail.